Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Job Offers

As I mentioned in my previous post, just when I was starting to think about looking for a new job, 2 were offered to me in the same week

The first job is a jack of all trades kind of job. I would have one central job, but would help out in a whole bunch of other departments and places as needed.  So far the job I stayed the longest at was structured this way, and part of what I loved about it was that just when I was starting to get bored, I would be on a new project.  The pay was not as good as where I am now, but it would be in the same city, saving money and time on commuting.  I liked the boss, and the future co-workers, but I remembered all the reasons why I had left the last job I had structured that way, having an unpredictable schedule, lots of overtime, and the pay never changes.

The other is a project management job, a much more stable and structured job, focused entirely on administration.  My first thought was that it might be boring, always doing the same things, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it is probably exactly what I want in my life right now.  I spent my 20s mostly in a perpetual state of chaos, not all bad chaos, but still chaos.  My jobs were all highly unstable, project or contract based, which meant that there was never a certainty that I would have work in six months.  This had its good side, it allowed me to try out a lot of different jobs, industries and skills, and was generally very flexible, perfect for an adult in training who still doesn’t know what she wants to be when she grows up.  Not ideal however, for a gal who is starting to settle down.

Now my life has gotten to a much more stable place, a place that I always thought I would rather die than get to.  There was a huge festival a few weeks ago, one that I never miss.  This festival is one of the few times a year that I really let loose and go wild like I used to before I moved closer to my family.  This year things were hectic in my life and I decided not to go.  It wasn’t really a conscious decision; I just didn’t feel the pull.   I was happy spending a quiet weekend at home, with my BF out of town for work.  Sure the fact that it was my last weekend alone before the BF moved in, and that I couldn’t remember the last time I had real, uninterrupted Me time factored into it, but still.  For the first time in my adult life, I was missing the party, and happy about it.

Last week I accepted job #2, I start on the 17th, and gave 3 weeks notice to my current job.  From what people have told me, the boss is great, and it is far from boring, so I’m pretty excited about my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment